Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 27: I <3 Woking

Tina, I will make us t-shirts that say 'I [heart] Woking', I promise! Send me your address in Sierra Leone. I wish they had Woking post cards, but haven't found any yet...

Well, my ambitions for a big out of town Bank Holiday weekend this weekend all fell through, either due to flight schedules or cost, so I am FINALLY just hanging out in Woking to relax a bit. The only other weekend I've spent in Woking since I arrived on this side of the pond on March 18 was the Stonehenge weekend, which included some quality sightseeing around Salisbury and Stonehenge, followed up by a big night on the town in Woking, so it doesn't really count. This weekend has demonstrated the 'English weather' to its fullest with overcast skies and drizzle the entire time.

I have spent two amazing days just studying my Accounting course, eating up my now-plentiful groceries, watching episodes of The Office Season 2, and going to the gym. Yes, the gym. I know, I can hardly believe it, either! I went to Peak Fitness in Woking yesterday with the 1-week free membership pass I got from work last month to redeem it for this week, only to find that it had expired in April. I convinced them to let me in for free as a trial anyway for the day.

I got a fun test in math in the form of unit conversions: all the weights, both free weights and those for machines, are listed in KG. This of course makes sense, but I didn't come prepared, so I THINK I had a good workout yesterday, but not totally sure.

The soreness all over my body today indicates that it was a decent workout after all, or that I've just really let myself go, equally plausible. I decided today to go ahead and barter for a membership for the remaining 3.5 weeks that I'm here; I need to shape up in order to look decent in the strapless bride's maid dress the weekend I come back, June 23, plus, doing regular leg exercises on the machines will keep my knees from aching as much. I managed to talk the Peak Fitness guy down from 35 down to 30 since I wouldn't be here for a full month and got my membership, which includes unlimited use of the gym, the saunas, and all the fitness classes. They have spinning (yay!), step and cardio classes, and yoga and pilates, so I'm happy.

This time, I used the treadmill, another exercise in conversions, as the LifeFitness machine registered my speed in kilometers per hour. It's a little disconcerting to have a speed set to '7.0' but still be walking.

Miles, kilometers, whatever -- I'm really out of shape. I'll be going to Peak Fitness as frequently as possible for the rest of my time in Woking, that's for sure! Luckily it's a 1 minute walk from work and I don't have to be in the office until 9 AM.

My multiplication and division skills are going to be MUCH sharper than when I left from having to do all these conversions. I still don't quite have the Celsius conversion down yet, though.

Oh and my boring weekend this weekend is more than made up for by my planned trip to Istanbul with HS friend Adrian Baker next weekend, and then visiting my Chicago-roommate in Barcelona the weekend after. Just need to come up with ideas for my last weekend here, June 16 - 17. Manchester maybe?

1 comment:

Tina Traini said...

You ARE a nerd! I have to admit that the lbs/kgs got me too when I couldn't figure out why my weights were so light for body pump (which you have to try!). Spinning was fun but SUPER HOT as there wasn't a fan in the room. Plus the instructor isn't hard on the eyes. :)

I miss you. Freetown is wicked but would be better with a posse of gals!