Wednesday, April 4, 2007

April 3: Cheerio, my lovie

Yes, a woman at Sainsbury's last night actually said that to me. I love it.

The hardest adjustments to life in the UK:

  1. Looking the wrong way before crossing the street
  2. Figuring out how to work appliances, like stoves, washing machines, dishwashers
  3. Figuring out how to turn on showers
  4. Being away from family and friends, especially in times of celebration

The best parts of living in the UK:

  1. Going to see Mary Poppins tomorrow in London
  2. Having tea all the time and that not being ‘weird’
  3. Healthier food and lifestyle
  4. Gateway to the rest of Europe
By the way, if anyone can send me information on the proper use of the word 'cheers' here, I would be much obliged. Thusfar, my manager and I have identified it as a replacement for 'Thanks', 'Good-bye', 'You're welcome', and 'Excuse me'.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Cheers is basically a way to toast when drinking or to say goodbye or thank you.
They also probably use it for other meanings too, them crazy Brits. ;)


Cheers!