Friday, March 23, 2007

Paddywagon Day 3


Lots of driving through the countryside today to get down to Galway. We stopped first at Drumcliffe Church to see the burial place of William Butlet Yeats. His tombstone (shown here) is inscribed with his own words: "Cast a cold eye on life, in death, Horseman, pass by." While sitting in the cafe, one of the girl's purse was stolen by a local and there was quite a flurry with the Irish Garda (police) arriving to sort things out. Miraculously, one of the accused women 'found' it back in a corner of the cafe. Such drama.

Btw - shout out to Shelley for giving me that Atlas for my birthday (slash Valentine's Day) because I'm able to look up where everyone in the group is from. It's been really cool. There are a lot of other people traveling alone so it's been easy to make friends and have a good time. I'm learning the Aussie accent, too, mate.

Dinner tonight in Galway at a place with some great Irish stew then out on the town. I got a new t-shirt "Guinness. Black goes with everything." that I wore out. Good times, but our roommates (also part of our tour group) were a bit rowdy coming home to the hostel late that night around 4 am (?). Gotta love the shared dorm rooms with bunk beds and bathrooms down the hall. And those showers that only run water for about 2 minutes before you have to push the button to start them again. So sweet. My tiny shared apartment in Woking is going to feel like a palace after this very grimy week.

Speaking of which, I'm so grateful to be with these Aussies who are living over in the UK and working enough to make money to travel for a little a bit, then work again and do it all over. Hearing stories about living in hostels with 3 other people and doing odd jobs is making me realize how NOT roughing it I will be. With my half-salary and per diem, I will be more than fine.

No comments: